4 U.S. Soldiers Are Shot, at Least 2 Fatally, by Afghan Soldier

4 U.S. Soldiers Are Shot, at Least 2 Fatally, by Afghan Soldier

KABUL, Afghanistan — Two American soldiers were killed and two others wounded after an Afghan soldier opened fire on them in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, according to Afghan officials.

A United States official confirmed that at least two American soldiers had been killed. The official asked not to be identified because the information had not yet been officially released and the American military was still investigating the episode.

Earlier, an American airstrike in southern Afghanistan accidentally killed at least two Afghan policemen, according to Afghan officials.

The incident in eastern Afghanistan occurred in the Achin District of Nangarhar Province, where American Special Operations forces are fighting alongside Afghan forces against fighters aligned with the Islamic State, as well as against Taliban insurgents.

According to Attaullah Khogyani, the spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar Province, an Afghan Army commando opened fire on the American soldiers in the Pekhe area of the district, and the attacker was killed by other soldiers at the scene.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, wrote in a WhatsApp message that the attacker was a Taliban infiltrator. In an emailed statement, the American military said only: “We are aware of an incident in eastern Afghanistan. We will release more information when appropriate.”

Afghan officials said that an American airstrike on a border outpost in southern Helmand Province killed two border police officers and wounded six others late Friday night or early Saturday morning. A news release from the American military on Saturday confirmed that an incident had happened in the area overnight in which “personnel from the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces were killed and wounded.”

According to Omar Zwak, the spokesman for the governor of Helmand Province, the airstrike on the border police post took place in the Nad Ali District. While initial reports said that two policemen had been killed and six wounded, an investigating team sent to the area found that “the death toll is rising,” Mr. Zwak said. Another official, Bashir Ahmad Shakir, head of the provincial council’s security committee, said that other reports, not yet confirmed, said that as many as eight policemen had been killed. Both officials said the incident took place as a result of an Afghan commando operation in the area fighting Taliban insurgents.

The incident in Helmand, like the one in Nangarhar, involved American forces working in partnership with Afghan commandos, but there was no indication that the incidents were connected.

So-called “green on blue” violence, or insider attacks by Afghan soldiers on American or other foreign troops, have become rare as coalition forces have mostly withdrawn from Afghanistan.

News Reporter